Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Becoming Free From Bondage


The following is some counsel given by a member of my ward who is struggling to overcome the effects of bondage: They will remain anonymous. I hope you find the counsel uplifting 

"And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenants which ye have made unto me: and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage, and I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.  ( mosiah 24:13-14)

     The definition of "bondage" according to the dictionary is to be in a state of being bound by, or subjected to some external power or control. Whether you yourself struggle with addiction, or associate with someone who does, you know the great sorrow that can be experienced. The power of the Savior can turn our most devastating defeats into glorious spiritual victories. Those who once lived with daily depression, anxiety, fear, and debilitating anger, can experience joy and peace through the atonement of Jesus-Christ. Some people consider addiction to be simply bad habits that can be conquered by will power alone, but many people become so dependant on a behavior, or a substance that they no longer see how to abstain from it. There is hope.

     After many years of being in "bondage" to the substance of nicotine, and trying repeatedly over those years to rid myself of it, I found great comfort and solace the day I made up my mind that I was powerless without the Saviors help. I knew I could not conquer this dragon by will power alone. i got down on my knees, and told our heavenly-father that I needed his help from breaking free of this substance. I prayed with all the energy of heart that the craving would be taken from me, and that over time, my body would be cleansed from the harsh chemicals. I expressed my great love for him, and for the atonement that he has so freely given. Almost immediately after I got up from my knees, I felt different. I no longer craved that substance...I was free from it. It has been several months, and still to this day, I no longer desire it. It has been a personal testimony to me of just how aware the Savior is of each of us. A miracle was performed that day, which I will never forget. My greatest hope through sharing this story is that those who may be struggling with this addiction, or another addiction perhaps...will have hope for themselves, or a loved one that they can be "set free" with the help of the Savior, through the atonement of the Lord Jesus-Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment