Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Overcoming Addiction


The following is some counsel given by a member of my ward who is struggling to overcome an addiction: They will remain anonymous. I hope you find the counsel uplifting. 


"When  we think of all Jesus did during his ministry, we sometimes lose sight of the fact that the primary reason he came to this earth was anomalous rescue us from satan's power.

     The jews did not recognize Christ as the long awaited Messiah, because they were looking for a militant leader who would free them from Roman oppression.  But Jesus came to rescue them from an even greater captivity; the self-imposed slavery of hate, resentment, bitterness, self-condemnation, unresolved guilt, weaknesses, bad habits, and even addictions. He came with the mission to release us, through the power of his love and forgiveness, into a life of abundance and joy. His greatest desire is not for fame or position, but to wrap us in the arms of his love and remove every obstacle that prevents us from being all our Heavenly-father intended for us to be.

     One of the great themes of the scriptures is that no one can fall below the reach of God's infinite, unconditional, and unwavering love. There is nothing that a person can do to make God love him more than he already does, and there is nothing one can do that will cause God to love him any less.

     Heavenly- father doesn't want to see us fall...he wants to see us rise. He wants what is best for us, and allows us to experience hardship,  such as struggling through addiction in order for us to realize greater blessings.  What is required is a complete transformation of our hearts. No one can change the carnal nature of the heart and disposition to do evil like the grace and mercy of the Savior, through the atonement.

We may do much good in controlling behavior, but until we allow Jesus-Christ to alter our hearts and desires, we will suffer a continual struggle between the desires of the flesh and the will of the spirit. I struggled in my addiction with alcohol 'cause I felt I could overcome it alone for a long time, until I realized that I could not overcome this without the Saviors help. The natural man in me wanted that drink...especially after I had a hard day. Each day that passes, I sometimes am really tempted to have that drink, but the Savior has promised us that we would not be tempted above that which we can bear ( alma 13:28).

He has already paid the price. All any of us  need to do is ask in humility through earnest prayer for him to help us overcome our weaknesses...whatever they  may be. As you ask in humility for him to help you, you will experience an overwhelming feeling of peace, and love that the Savior personally has for you,  regardless of what your weaknesses are. He is waiting with open arms to receive you, but you have to ask for his help. Satan would have you believe that you have gone too far, or you are so absorbed in the addiction that it has taken over your life to where there is no hope. These are some of his many lies.  If he can prevent you from going to church, or reading in the scriptures by telling you that you are unworthy because of choices you have made...then he has won half the battle.

Don't allow him to push you down his slippery slide into utter destruction and misery. Take it from someone who was at the bottom of his slide for awhile, and had to fight my way back without the companionship of the holy-ghost. I can't begin to tell you how lonely, and depressing that road was. It started with curiosity from when I started hanging out with the wrong group of people, and had my first substance. I felt I could handle it...that I was strong enough to prevent things from getting out of hand. Curiosity lead to continuing to  justify things that I would do, until before I knew it, that curiosity turned into something BIG, and I lost my membership in the Lords true church. I was open to the buffetings of satan and his followers, and I WAS buffeted...day and night until I was able to be re-baptized. Don't permit yourself to get to this point. Don't say to yourself that you can prevent things from getting out of hand, 'cause you can't. Satan is very real."

No comments:

Post a Comment